Thursday, February 14, 2008

LUCHA!!!

Oof - first entry in nearly two weeks. Maybe our blog has entered a post-holiday sugar coma?

Or maybe we were left SPEECHLESS by the amazing Lucha Libre fight Alex, CQ and I saw last week.

Did I say amazing? I meant authentic. This was no glitzed-up, WWF-style battle. Pudgy contenders, rec center lighting, and drunk, foul-mouthed old ladies berating the luchadors made this a true Mexican experience.

But like the American equivalent, there was definitely a feeling of class difference in the crowd. CQ's coworkers laughed when they heard we were going - does this reflect their class bias, or what they assumed was ours?

3 comments:

CQ said...

I still have nightmares from that night--not about the luchadores themselves, but about that profane old woman with verbal diarrhea who simply would not shut up. I am still shocked that people would take their children to this event. There were little kids everywhere! The luchas themselves weren't bad, but the crowd was pretty crass and obscene. Like many things in Laredo, doing it once is good enough. Alex, I know you are dying to go to the next one, but I think I'll pass.

Chud said...

Come on, out with it. What exactly does a foul-mouthed crone yell?

jc said...

I didn't understand a word she said. I just saw jaws drop and people fall over laughing whenever she started up. It was the announcers who kept calling her a "borracho" and telling her to "ay callate." I think one of the wrestlers even offered her as a bet in one of the matches.