Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Cranberry salsa, maybe?

As Alex and I contemplate what Thanksgiving dinner for two on the border looks like, I'm forced to recall all the weird Tex-Mex food I've eaten in the past month:

The Fried Hamburguesa: Why Tex? It's made from a cow (probably) and sold at gas stations. Why Mex? It's fried, baby, bun and all.

The Chicken Fried Steak at El Paraiso in Zapata ("The Restaurant That Made Zapata Famous"): Why Tex? Looking at it gives you a little heart attack. Why Mex? If you manage to finish the fried steak, fish a little deeper into the gravy beneath, and surprise! An enchilada surfaces.

Thanksgiving luncheon at work: Why Tex? Turkey and stuffing, as the founding fathers intended. Why Mex? The turkey was sliced thin, then used to roll up the stuffing like a breakfast taco! I wish I had a picture of this.

Any suggestions for our border repast?

1 comment:

CQ said...

I'm starting to feel a little guilty that I'm heading north to a succulent meal at mama and papa Q's for Thanksgiving. Wait, it is about 50 degrees warmer here...nevermind.