Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I met the Mayor of Laredo!

I've been meaning to post about this for a few days. Last week I was eating lunch with my co-workers at the Rialto Hotel downtown and found myself shaking hands with the one and only...Raul G. Salinas, Mayor of Laredo! Turns out, one of my co-workers had worked with him at some point in her career. I swear, everybody knows everybody in this town. And the cafe at the Rialto is nothing special, either. It's acutally called the San Bernardo Party House, although it is neither on San Bernardo Ave., nor a party house. They have a handful of tables, pretty cheap lunch specials and capuccino. Well, ok, I guess that does make them kind of special in Laredo.

Anyway, so Mayor Salinas is shaking everyone's hand at the table (there were only 4 of us), and when he came to me, I was trying hard to think of something interesting to say. Here I was, in my first one-on-one encounter with a person who has some actual political might! But before I could ask him about the border fence lawsuit that he and a few other Texas border mayors are threatening to file against the federal government, he beat me to the punch, pointed to my plate and asked me, "You gonna eat those chips?" We all chuckled, he went off to sit with his table, and I couldn't help but wonder: What kind of small talk Michael Bloomberg does make?

4 comments:

lauren said...

He asks: "Do those chips have trans fats?"

laura k said...

So, do people with real political might look different from us mere mortals? :-)

Aileen said...

Each day brings us ever closer to fulfilling JC's dream of becoming the future ex-mayor of Laredo! Perhaps votes and influence can be bought with delicious chips.

Alex said...

In response to your question, Laura K.--I don't know whether it's the political might or the potato chips, or both, but a popular radio personality down here has nicknamed Mayor Salinas "the Walrus." He's got a mustache and everything.